Seated Qigong Practice
This is a simple breath practice for gently warming and energizing the whole body. Try it for 3 months to see how it benefits you.
- Sit in a chair so that your ankles, knees, and hips are at 90 degree angles and your back is straight.
- Relax neck, shoulders, jaw, and face.
- Gently focus on your lower abdomen. Visualize a small flame in the center of your lower abdomen if it helps you.
- Inhale, hold, exhale following any of these counting patterns:
- 1 – 4 – 2
- 2 – 8 – 4
- 3 – 12 – 6
- Rest your mind in the lower abdomen throughout. Notice a sensation of warmth gradually building there.
- Do this for up to 16 minutes.
Closing and Retaining
- Finish by clapping loudly, rubbing your hands together to warm them, and rub your eyes, face, and head. Do this 3 times.
- Press your hands down the center line of your abdomen, resting them on the lower abdomen.
- Make a circle with your hands clockwise three times, then counterclockwise three times.
- Press inward on the lower abdomen, contract the perineum and the toes while pressing the tongue to the upper palate. This should feel like you’re holding in the energy accumulated during the practice.